North Star NP currently has one opening due to growth.
The Accountant provides accounting support to North Star NP, Focal Gate, and various customers. This is a flexible, non-exempt part-time position. Join a small team of dedicated professionals who help nonprofits and small businesses enhance their capacity. This position is perfect for a retiree or anyone with a flexible schedule. Work will start at about 4 hours a week and is may grow to 2-3 days a week.
Duties may include:
- Perform “hands-on” accounting functions including general ledger maintenance, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, cash receipts, billing and cash disbursements.
- Oversee the preparation of all required financial statements and reports for internal and external use as well as for audit purposes.
- Design and maintain an accounting structure to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Create and manage Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Develop, implement and monitor accounting and internal control procedures in compliance with GAAP and ensure compliance with organization financial policies and procedures as well as state and federal laws and regulations.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range financial objectives, policies and procedures; monitor and evaluate reporting effectiveness; implement changes required for improvement.
- Develop and maintain system for tracking and analyzing grant revenue, and operations and individual assistance activity.
- Oversee and manage cash flow activity for organization.
- Maintain bank relations for investment opportunities and resource management.
- Oversee the organization’s external audit; implements corrections and improvements as required.
- Design and develop budget process and format. Incorporate budget into accounting system for comparison to on-going activity.
- Oversee organization’s business insurance policies and provide risk-management services.
- Act as liaison to the Finance Committee. Provide accurate and timely financial statements, cash flow projections and other financial information as requested to the Executive Director and Finance Committee.
Qualifications: Education and Experience
- AA or BA in relevant field
- Previous experience with payroll and accounting
- Quickbooks experience
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Fundamental understanding of accounting principles
- High degree of customer service and follow-through.
- Excellent time management skills with ability to handle multiple demands.
- Flexibility to meet unexpected requests.
- Ability to work effectively with vendors and customers.
- Pass a background check
- Valid driver’s license and reliable car
Wage and schedule
Hourly salary DOQ. Position is part-time, approx. 4-16 hours/week. Hours can usually be scheduled based on availability, and are usually weekdays during day hours. Occasional on-call. Duties will be performed on-site at our Saint Paul office or at customer location.